Bengali Sponge Rasgulla Recipe / Sponge Rasgulla
Bengali Sponge Rasgulla is made of fresh chena-homemade cottage cheese and sugar. Bengali Sponge Rasgulla is my most favourite Indian Sweet. Make sure that you prepare fresh paneer / cottage cheese at home. Do not use cottage cheese bought from the market.
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Skill Level: Medium
- Milk – 1 Ltrs.
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice or Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- For making chena:—-
- Boil the milk in a pan.
- After the milk is boiled, switch of the burner and wait for 4-5 min.
- Add lemon juice or vinegar and keep stirring the milk.
- The chena will start separating from the whey.
- Once the chena has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth or muslin cloth.
- Wrap the chena in a muslin cloth, rinse under cold water and squeeze well.
- This process takes out the sourness from the chena.
- Take out chena in plate, mash it chena with help of your hands for 10-15 min or add into grinder and grind it for 2-3 min or till it becomes smooth dough.
- Make sure that you do not grind longer in a grinder otherwise the ghee will come out from the dough and you will end spoiling it.
- Knead it by hand, make it soft and smooth dough.
- Divide the chena in 10-12 parts and make lemon size balls with the chenna and keep it aside.
- Heat the 21/2 cup of water in pressure cooker on high heat, add sugar and stir it till sugar melts.
- When the syrup is boiled, sugar is melted and put each ball one at a time in the sugar syrup.
- Leave some space for the rossogollas to swell and they will be double in size.
- Cover with lid and cook on low flame for 5-6 min.
- Now turn off the gas and allow to cool.
- Take out rossogolla in big bowl along with sugar syrup.
- Store bengali sponge rossogolla in refrigerator.