Keerai Molagootal Recipe / Spinach with lentils / Spinach Cooked with Lentil and Coconut
Keerai Molagootal Recipe is a traditional Kerala Recipe. Keerai Molagootal or Spinach Lentil Curry is a made with greens and simmered in dals, spices and coconut. Keerai Molagootal is mildly spiced dish. It is a combination of vegetables and lentils with coconut. Palak is a high in iron and lentils rich in protein.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Finely Chopped Palak/Spinach – 3 cup
- Moong Dal or Toovar Dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste –
- Curry Leaves – 10-11 nos.
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin Seed – 1/2 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili – 2 nos.
For Tadka/Popu/Tempering:—— –
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili – 1-2 nos.
- In a grinder, add coconut, cumin seeds and dry red chili, make a fine paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add toovar dal or moong dal, little salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook it till dal becomes soft and keep aside.
- Heat the pan on a medium flame, add the palak, very little water and turmeric powder.
- Cook for 5-6 min.
- Add cooked toovar dal or moong dal and cook for 4-5 min.
- Add the grinded mixture with the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add salt and boil well.
- For a tadka:–Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds, dry red chili, urad dal and curry leaves, fry for 2-3 min.
- Add tadka into cooked dal mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot keerai milakoottal with rice.