Rava Idli Recipe / How To Make Rava Idli / Quick Rawa Idli Recipe
Rava Idli Recipe is a very famous South Indian recipe which is very simple to prepare at home. Rava Idlis are a super fast alternative to the traditional rice-dal idlis. Rava idli is a variation of the popular South Indian breakfast item, idli, made with rava-semolina-rawa or bombay rava. Rave idli is served hot with saagu and coconut chutney.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Sooji/Rava – 1 cup
- Butter Milk – 1 to 1 ¼ cup
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Finely Chopped Onion – 1 cup
- Finely Chopped Green Chili – 2-3 nos.
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves –
- Salt as per taste –
For Tadka/popu/tempering: –
- Curry Leaves – 10-12 Leaves
- Urad Dal (skinned split black lentils) – 1 tbsp
- Chana Dal (split Bengal gram) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seed – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil for frying –
- Grated Carrot (Optinal) – 1/2 cup
- Pea (Optinal) – 1/2 cup
- In a bowl, add rawa, buttermilk and salt, soak for 30 min.
- For tadka, heat the oil in a small frying pan, add urad dal, chana dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves, fry for 2-3 min.
- Add onions, carrot, pea and green chili, fry till onions are golden brown and allow to cool the onions slightly and add to the rawa batter.
- Add coriander leaves and baking soda to the batter just before steaming.
- Grease the idly holder or idli moulds well with oil.
- Fill each of them with ¾ th full of batter.
- place the idli plate into steamer and steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Gently take the soft idlies from the plate using a greased spoon.
- Serve hot idli with coconut chutney.