Sambar Rice Recipe / Sambar / How To Make Sambar / Mixed Vegetable Sambar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Easy
- Toovar Dal – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Water as needed –
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Carrot – 1/4 cup
- Drumstick – 1 nos.
- Tamrind Pulp – 1/4 cup
- Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
- Dry Red Chili – 2-3 nos.
- Oil for frying –
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 10-11 nos.
- Finally Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1-2 tbsp
- Wash rice and dal, remove the extra water.
- In a pressure cooker, add dal-rice mixture, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, sambar powder, carrot, drumstick and salt.
- Add 4 cups of water to tamrind paste mix and pour into the dal/rice mixture.
- Cook in pressure cooker for 10 to 12 minutes or till dal gets soft.
- Keep aside and allow to cool.
- Heat the ghee in the pan on medium flame and add onion, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilli.
- Fry for 3-4 min.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked rice-dal mixture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot sambar rice with pickle and papad.
SAMBAR RICE RECIPE was last modified: January 6th, 2015 by