Suzhiyam / Suzhiyan / Seeyam Recipe / How To Make Suzhiyan
Suzhiyam is the traditional sweet recipe which can be prepared during Diwali and Ganesh chaturthi. Suzhiyan or Seeyam or Suzhiyam is a delicious sweet dish in which channa dal, coconut and gur stuffed in dosa batter. Suzhiyan is a delicious and tasty, deep fried snack stuffed with sweet channa dal.
- Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Skill Level: Medium
For Filling:— –
- Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
- Grated Gur or Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
For Covering:—– –
- Dosa/Idly Batter – 1/2 cup
- Oil for deep frying –
- Salt – a pinch
- Heat the pan on medium flame, add channa dal.
- Dry roast channa dal till a nutty aroma comes.
- Soak it in water for atleast 1 hour.
- Cook channa dal in a pressure cooker with water.
- Cook it till channa dal gets soft but not mushy.
- Remove the extra water from channa dal and transfer into bowl and keep aside.
- In a grinder, add channa dal and gur, make a coarse mixture.
- Add grated coconut, cardamom powder to the grinded and make a channa dal mixture.
- Make a small lemon sized balls and keep aside.
- In a bowl, take idli/dosa batter and take each ball and dip well such that it coats on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame for deep frying, slide the coated channa dal balls.
- Fry it till they turns little golden brown from both sides.
- Serve hot seeyam.