Sakkarai Pongal / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe
Sweet Pongal Recipe is one of the most popular recipe in Ugadi /Gudi Padwa. Sweet Pongal is a sweet dish that is made during most festivals in South India. Moong Dal and rice cooked with milk, flavored with cardamom powder and garnish with nuts.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Skill Level: Easy
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal – 3-4 tbsp
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Gur – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder – a pinch
- Desi Ghee – 3-4 tbsp
- Chopped Kaju – 2-3 tbsp
- Raisins – 2-3 tbsp
- Water as needed –
Heat the 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan on medium flame, add kaju and raisins, fry it till turns little golden brown and keep aside.
Heat the pan on medium flame, add moong dal and roast moong dal it till nice aroma rises and keep aside.
- Cook moong dal, rice with milk in pressure cooker.
Cook it till dal gets soft.
- Add 1 cup of water to jaggery and mix well, so that it gets dissolved.
- Pour this jaggery water over the cooked rice and dal through a sieve and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and ghee, mix well.
- Cook it till pongal becomes semi thick.
- Garnish with fried raisins and kaju.
- Serve hot sweet pongal.
SWEET PONGAL RECIPE was last modified: March 19th, 2014 by