Dahi Bhalla Recipe / Dahi Vada Recipe / Dahi Bada Recipe / Dahi Wada Recipe
Dahi bhalla recipe is the tasty and tangy chaat recipe of North India. Dahi bhalla is made of fried urad dal or moong dal balls and served with thick curd-yougurt and garnished with tamrind chutney, coriander or mint leaves, red chili powder, chaat masala and roasted cumin powder. To make bhalla, add some spices in urad dal paste, then deep fry them. Fried bhalle or vadas are first put in water and then transferred to thick beaten spicy yogurt. In Maharashtra and Gujarat, they prefer with sweet curd.
- Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 4-5
- Skill Level: Easy
- Urad Dal or Moong Dal (without skin) – 1 cup
- Cumin Seed (for batter) – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Green Chilies – 2-3 nos.
- Baking Soda – A Pinch
- Salt as per taste –
- Curd-Dahi – 3 cup
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1-2 tbsp
- Wash and soak urad dal for 4 hours.
- Drain all the water and in a grinder, add soaked urad dal and grind it into smooth paste and use exactly ½ cup of water to grind.
- In a big bowl, add urad dal paste, cumin seeds, green chilies, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- By hand or spoon, beat the batter for 5 minutes or till it becomes light and fluffy (beat it well so vada will become fluffy and soft.)
- Heat the oil in a deep frying on medium heat.
- Wet your hand with water and take about 2 tablespoons of batter and slide it very carefully into hot oil.
- Fry it till turns little golden brown on both side and remove it on plate.
- In a bowl, take a water and add 1 tbsp salt, mix well.
- Soak the fried vada in water for at least 20 minutes and squeeze out the water from vadas (For that take vada between your palm and press to squeeze water), keep in bowl.
- In a another bowl, add curd, red chili and cumin powder, mix well and keep in refrigerator.
- Add curd mix, whenever you want to serve.
- Arrange 2-3 vadas in a plate and pour curd mixture
- Add salt and garnish with coriander leaves, red chili and tamarind chutney as per your taste.
- Serve chilled dahi bhalla.